Monday, September 20, 2010

The Fall Re-Boot, pt. I : Red Wings.






















After spending all summer in canvas sneakers, when Fall arrives, I'm ready to dust off my Red Wings, rub some oil into them and put some more miles on 'em.
Here are a few pairs lovingly collected over the years.
1)Classic 875's. I've had these for over 10 years. Re-soled once.






2)Red Wings 4439. I traded a roommate for these years ago(I think I got the better end of the deal). He'd had 'em for years before me. I've put some serious miles on these since.













3)8130. Only had these a couple years. Oil-tanned, black chrome.

4)Pull-on low Pecos. Ordered these through the Brooklyn institution Pop's on Franklin street a few years back.







11 comments:

jens said...

here in Hamburg (Germany) fall began one month ago ... so i'm already enjoying my RW's ... have a look at my collection
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49438390@N08/4526707428/

all plaidout said...

Those Pecos are precocious. Nice work, sir. Always on point.

Anonymous said...

Jens, I visited Hamburg for the first time in August and you're definitely right, 'Fall' had begun...it was bloody freezing!

At least you've been able to unleash the RW's though...

Fred said...

HOHO nice collection but I have to say Hamburg is leading the game good collection and TOP Condition as well

Have a look at www.redwing1905.blogspot.com

You are connected as well

Robert Duhon said...

Awesome wear and tear on the Wings......I found myself wearing mine most of the summer, when I was not in flip flops...Thanks for the great pics.

Anonymous said...

nice pictures.
whats the modelnumber from the second one ?

they look like the 8804.

Anonymous said...

awesome pix.

maybe you can tell me whats the model number from the second pair with supersole is.

cheers Peter

Jens said...

but Hamburg has also sunny days and when the sun shines it's absolute wonderful... and you see a lot of people in RW's. Beside Frankfurt the city with the most RW-Fans ...

@Fred: Thanx for the pics on your blog. Makes me proud!

@james: Nice RW's. Especially the 875.

Anonymous said...

love this post - great to see the wear on the soles. I've had two pairs of red wings that have disappeared over the years. i've got two thorogoods now and my wife tells me that enough. i'm thinking i should get those Romeos i've always wanted (#4). do they still make those? also - hows the inside of the boots - do you use insoles or just thick socks and go? thanks, DinTX

Anonymous said...

Hey again - I contacted Red Wing and the 2143 Pecos Slipons (#4) are back in production as of this year! how is the fit on them? do they fit snug or does the heel slip or anything - you never know with slipons. Thanks for reminding me of them - i'd given up long ago! Great post! Later, DinTX

Anonymous said...

Rock on with with red wings, true americana!